Mac Usage

(Chris Pettifer) #1

Anyone else using Power Music on a Mac?!

This may sound like an odd question, but I own a Macbook, but have a PC for work. At the moment Power Music is installed on my work PC, but I shouldn’t really use it for this. So, I’ve just installed VMWare Fusion on my Macbook (evaluation version) and an evaluation version of Windows (Server 2003 of all things!) for VMWare to boot. I’ve just got Power Music running on there and everything seems to work beautifully… but that’s only at home!

Has anyone else tried to do this and used this set up successfully, or something similar. I figure buying a licence of VMWare and Windows is going to be cheaper and more convenient than buying a whole new PC just to run Power Music!

My only slight concern is that my Macbook screen is only 13.3 inches, so might be a bit small. I’ve been after an excuse to buy a 15 or 17 inch Macbook Pro!! :wink:

(Phil J) #2

I’ve been using a similar setup for a few months, MBP 13" running fusion and windows 7 with no problems.

I have windows 7 installed on the boot camp partition which you can run under fusion for setting up all the power music stuff, then when it comes to using it live you can boot direct into the bootcamp partition and have a pure windows machine.

I output to a 22" widescreen, 13" would be ok depending on where you put the page breaks.

• out of interest, what memory are you giving to windows?

(Chris Pettifer) #3

Not sure what memory settings I have setup - I just have whatever defaults Fusion or the Windows VHD have set up between them as I’ve only just installed everything. I will try and fine out later.

I was thinking of just running Fusion with a virtual hard disk image when using live. I should be able to give this a go this coming weekend as I’ve successfully imported my songs to PM on the virtual machine and I think the evaluation version of Fusion runs for 30 days, so will give me time to evaluate before purchase. I happen to be playing both morning and evening this Sunday, so it should be a good test.

I have discovered that the page turner foot pedal works fine, so that good! :slight_smile:

(Phil J) #4

Im sure that there will be no issues running it as a VM live, I just like to get as much technology out the way in live situations, less to go wrong and windows has more resources (not that PM seems to need much!)
You d need to ensure all the power setting on both the VM and the Mac were set to always on. If either were to go to sleep you could end up having lots of issues which you dont want live.
Hope it all goes well, and you report good results next week!

(Chris Pettifer) #5

It’s screensaver issues I have with my work PC - I can’t turn it off because it’s locked down by our network policy, so I had an amusing incident mid-set once when we had an extended pause while I had to type my rather secure password into the laptop.

(Phil J) #6

Did you have a successful weekend?

(Chris Pettifer) #7

Sorry, meant to get back…

I actually failed to get my Mac to church - while I was preparing / setting it all up I had a pop up in my trial version of windows that said I only had 1 hour left to evaluate it. So… I decided this may cause me issues mid-service or something and opted to use my work laptop again!

However, I’ve now got a proper version of windows, so I’ll be giving it a go again sometime, hopefully start tonight by getting the new version of windows installed on the VM and then spend a bit of time reformatting the songs for smaller screen.

Not actually due to play in church for a few weeks, but will try it all out at home first.

(Jonathan Aldridge) #8

I am planning on using my work PC to run Power Music our software policy states that only software specifically denied cannot be installed, but I do work for an IT company.
We use a VB script that switches off the screensaver and runs the power profile in control panel to ensure that the screen does not switch off.

Const HKCU = &H80000001

Set oReg=GetObject(“winmgmts:!root/default:StdRegProv”)
oReg.GetStringValue HKCU,“control panel\desktop”,“ScreenSaveActive”,screensaveractive

Select case screensaveractive
case "1"
screensaveractive = "0"
oReg.SetStringValue HKCU,“control panel\desktop”,“ScreenSaveActive”,screensaveractive
msgbox “You are now in presentation mode as the screen saver is disabled. Please ensure you change your power profile to not shut down the monitor.”,vbinformation,"Presentation mode"
Case "0"
screensaveractive = "1"
oReg.SetStringValue HKCU,“control panel\desktop”,“ScreenSaveActive”,screensaveractive
msgbox “You are now in normal mode as the screen saver is enabled. Please ensure you change your power profile to shut down the monitor.”,vbinformation,"Presentation mode"
End Select

Set oWs = WScript.CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
oWs.Run “%SystemRoot%\System32\control.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\powercfg.cpl”

(Brenda Cameron) #9

Hi jda
This is really useful, though it still involves prompting the user to change power settings each time. It could be a settings option in Power Music which would then make it optional. There is also a Windows API function SetScreenSaverActive which switches the screensaver on and off, but there doesn’t seem to be one for changing the monitor power on/off settings?