MIDI Program Changes (receiving)

(Rank Onfile) #1

Is this possible?
I can’t find it anywhere so I’m guessing not.

It sure would be VERY useful.

This would be a MUCH desired feature for those of us who use this program for reading charts ‘live’ along side with using a MIDI keyboard setup and have to change sounds/patches for every song. (for 50 songs a gig)

So, when I call up a particular patch on my MIDI keyboard,
I send a Program Change to Power Music 4 and it goes to the correct song assigned.

Any input welcome.

Thanks.

(Power Music Guru) #2

Hi rank
Thank you. This has been suggested before and we are looking the possibility for the future.

(Rank Onfile) #3

[quote=“pmGuru” post=1088]Hi rank
Thank you. This has been suggested before and we are looking the possibility for the future.[/quote]

Cool!!
Thanks.
I love this program.
I’ve tried them all (I think). This one ROCKS!

(I’m coming strictly from a pop/jazz band perspective).

Cheers!

(Neil Durant) #4

I really really hope this feature becomes a reality - it would be incredibly useful to me.

In particular, it would be good if you could not only select a song via MIDI but also (optionally) specific pages within the song. I currently trigger sound changes at various parts during a song using a foot pedal, and it would be great to be able to also trigger a page turn at the same time, so I’m not having to manage too many foot pedals.

One possible implementation method would be to select songs using MSB/LSB bank select messages, and program change to select the page within a song. Since most controller keyboards can send bank/program changes, this would allow direct access to any of 128 pages in any of 16384 songs. And if people don’t want MIDI page turning, but just song selection they just send a single bank/program change to select the first page of the desired song.

In fact I’ve actually implemented precisely this in my own MIDI-controlled performance notes program, which displays HTML pages in a window on demand from MIDI bank/program changes. It works great, and I’ve used it at many gigs. Also the random-access page selection is great during rehearsals when you might be jumping around between song sections, where simple next/previous page selection might be cumbersome.

Now I just need the same feature in Power Music for my life to be complete :slight_smile:

Spherical

(Rank Onfile) #5

[quote=“Spherical” post=1211]

In fact I’ve actually implemented precisely this in my own MIDI-controlled performance notes program, which displays HTML pages in a window on demand from MIDI bank/program changes. It works great, and I’ve used it at many gigs. Also the random-access page selection is great during rehearsals when you might be jumping around between song sections, where simple next/previous page selection might be cumbersome.

Now I just need the same feature in Power Music for my life to be complete :slight_smile:

Spherical[/quote]

I need this;
I know a little about HTML. (I use Dreamweaver)

How did you do this.

This would be a big help to me.

(Neil Durant) #6

[quote=“rank” post=1212]
I need this;
I know a little about HTML. (I use Dreamweaver)

How did you do this.

This would be a big help to me.[/quote]

It’s not a product - I just made it for my own use because nothing else like it exists, although happy to share it if anyone might find it useful. I made it primarily to display chord sheets and performance notes during gigs, automatically showing me the info I need for each part of each song.

It’s actually rather tailored to my own requirements, so for example there’s currently no way to select a MIDI interface - it’s hard-coded to the MIDI interface I use. Maybe if I get some time I could make it more generally useable and put it up online.

However it should be noted that it’s very limited in what it does - it just displays HTML pages from a folder with filenames based on MIDI bank/program numbers. No way to annotate or manage the pages, or do any of the sophisticated things Power Music does, which is why it would be great if Power Music could support page control via MIDI.

I wrote it in a couple of evenings in C# (I’m a software engineer by day), and I run it on Windows, although it’s theoretically possible to run it on Mac/Linux, though I haven’t tried.